While Handbrake has been a great video converter and ripper, it isn’t as powerful. We thought we will check out the best Handbrake alternative for your needs.
When it comes to a cross-platform video converter or ripper, Handbrake has been one of the best options used by most of the video editors and designers out there. Given the fact that it is free, it has been a remarkable product worth it's salt. How does it work and what alternative would we recommend to Handbrake?
What is Handbrake – An Overview
Initially designed as a Mac-only software, it later was developed as a cross-platform. Video editors consider it to be one of the excellent tools that a PC meant for video editing should not be without. Ability to handle just about any video codec should make it one of the prominent options ever.
The availability of a wide range of pre-sets would further make it one of the prime options. Tweaking your video parameters to meet the needs such as resolution, framerate, compression, audio, and subtitles further makes it a prime choice.
There are a few limitations that you are likely to come across. However, the product is entirely free, and that is precisely what makes it one of the promising options for those of you who are on a budget.
If you are someone who is not much tech-savvy, you will find it a little challenging to handle. Once you moved past learning the tool and its functions, you would fall in love with it.
Ripping the DVD with Handbrake is rather simple and easy. If your DVD is encrypted, you may need to use a decrypting tool such as libdvdcss. The tool can rip a DVD that has not been encrypted.
Here is how to rip DVD with Handbrake:
- Launch Handbrake and pick your DVD drive from the side pane.
- Make sure that you have inserted your DVD into the DVD drive.
- Let Handbrake scan your DVD and find the disc.
- The decrypting software should decrypt the disc during this stage.
The interface may appear to be quite complex. But, you should be able to get used to the tool within a few instances.
Click on Title to pick your title to rip. By default, the software will pick the movie. You can choose the other titles if you want to.
Under the Destination tab, pick where you want to save the file.
You can choose the output format, resolution and other significant parameters as per your preferences.
You may pick the device-specific pre-sets at the right side and choose the pre-set depending on the device you want to play it on. If you plan to watch it on a computer, you can pick the General pre-set.
Once you have setup your ripping, click on Start Encode option.
That does it. You have successfully learnt how to rip DVD with Handbrake. You will be able to find the progress indicator as Handbrake rips your DVD.
Surely, there are other ways to convert DVD to digital video formats for you to learn more.
The steps would be similar to the steps explained in the above tutorial. The only difference would be to pick the local file saved on your computer instead of picking the DVD.
You can even add multiple files. Handbrake supports batch conversion options. Rest of the steps would remain completely similar to the steps involved in ripping the DVD using Handbrake in the above discussion. The tutorial above should also help you find how to use Handbrake software to compress video.
Suppose you are not happy with Handbrake for any reasons. In that case, there are several alternative to Handbrake available for offering you access to an enhanced experience in terms of converting your videos or ripping your DVD. Both of these tools offer you an enhanced experience when compared to Handbrake.
DVDFab Video Converter
DVDFab Video Converter is one of the full-featured Video converter that can convert videos from one format to another. It can also be used to convert video into audio formats and can be the right choice as the best free Handbrake alternative.
Some of the worthy features offered by DVDFab Video Converter include:
- Convert your video and audio into different formats: The software can convert most of the video formats including the those downloaded from the internet, or those used on camcorders and capture cards.
- Extraction of metadata: The metadata from the source videos is effectively extracted and applied on the output video. This helps the tools such as DVDFab Player 6 or any other video players to organise your content in a better manner.
- Built-in non-linear video editor: The non-linear video editor that forms part of the package further customises your videos. Adding intro or closing credits to your videos, adding a background music, and titles and subtitles with special effects can further enhance your experience.
- High-end technologies: Use of high-end technologies such as latest NVIDIA CUDA and Intel Quick Sync can improve the speed of conversion. The access to multithreading and multi-core operations further make it an enhanced experience.
The software further helps you improve the video quality with an additional tool in the form of Enlarger AI. It uses a super-resolution technology which goes a long way in enhancing your video quality. The tool increases the output video quality by over 300 per cent.
DVDFab DVD Ripper
If you are not happy with the DVD ripping capability of Handbrake, the DVDFab DVD Ripper can double up as an excellent solution in helping you achieve an enhanced experience. The tool is one of the excellent options to help you convert your DVDs to any of your favourite formats. You can use the tool for ripping your DVDs into any mainstream video or audio format. Just like DVDFab Video Converter, DVDFab DVD Ripper too can work with Enlarger AI.
A few factors that make it a great choice can include :
- Support for a wide range of formats: DVDFab DVD Ripper supports a wide range of audio and video formats. You can convert your DVD to mainstream video & audio format for playback on iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. The device-specific presets on the tool are updated continuously.
- Faster Ripping capability: The ripper makes use of advanced technologies for achieving the best quality ripping. Multicore and multithreading support enhances the speed of conversion consistently. The support for the newest NVIDIA CUDA as well as Intel Quick Sync offers amazing conversion capabilities.
- Flexible settings: The tool comes with flexible settings that make it quite simple and easy to work with the tool despite the skill sets you may have. No matter whether you are an expert or a newbie, you should be able to get access to an enhanced experience in handling your DVD ripping requirements.
Handbrake comes with a little tricky functionality that may make it a bit uncomfortable for use if you are not tech-savvy. Ease of use for a DVD ripping tool is the prime important feature, and DVDFab tools provide you complete support for the same.
The conversion speeds are yet another area you would find the Handbrake lags behind when compared to the DVDFab tools. Lack of speed and no GPU acceleration can be a few of the limiting factors that can make Handbrake quite a standard tool and may not suit the advanced users.
The capability to support metadata extraction and application to the output videos further enhances your efficiency in converting your videos or ripping your DVDs an easier option. Yet another plus point offered by the DVDFab is it does not need any DVD decrypter, with its built-in decryption service.
Having checked out the best options for ripping your DVD or converting your videos, we will check out a few FAQs in this context.
1. Can Handbrake convert MKV to AVI?
Yes, Handbrake can convert MKV to AVI. Some of the file formats supported by the platform can include MP4 or M4V, MKV, MOV, MPG or MPEG, AVI, and WMV.
2. Is Handbrake safe?
Handbrake is a GPL licensed open-source tool. It is completely safe to use and does not come with any virus. As long as you download it from the official website, it is completely safe to use.
3. Can Handbrake rip copy protected DVDs?
No. Handbrake cannot rip copy-protected DVDs on its own. You can use the other third-party options such as libdvdcss for decrypting the encrypted DVDs.
4. Does Handbrake rip Blu-ray?
It can officially rip Blu-rays. However, you may need to remove the copyright protection form the Blu-ray before you can use Handbrake to rip your discs. You can use any of the renowned Blu-ray copy protection removal tools.
5. Is it illegal to rip a DVD?
As soon as you removed the protection on a DVD or Blu-ray, you have violated the copyright protection. If you are ripping your DVD or Blu-ray for educational purposes or personal use, it may not be something you need to be worried about.
6. Is Handbrake the best video converter?
Handbrake is one of the excellent tools for use on Mac, but for Windows it has not been much popular.
The Concluding Thoughts
Well, Handbrake has been a hot favourite with the video editors since quite long. However, the advanced tools such as DVDFab DVD Ripper and DVDFab Video Converter can definitely prove to be quite effective and efficient than Handbrake.
Check out the differences offered by the two powerful video editor tools and gain access to a very perfect experience. They can definitely help you get access to an enhanced DVD ripping ever.